Every nation has its own comfort food, loved by a larger population either for the health benefits or for the ease of making. Khichdi is the most popular comfort food for Indians. It is a simple, and hearty Indian meal. It’s traditionally a combination of white rice and lentil. But I have given it a healthier twist and today I am excited to make it with brown rice in an InstantPot, one of my favorite kitchen appliances.
I hope you find this video helpful and if you enjoy it, do take a moment to give it a Thumbs up and if you haven’t already, do Subscribe! Until we meet again, from my heart to yours, Namaste!
* 1/2 cup brown rice
* 1/2 cup yellow moong dal or any lentil of your choice, such as red lentils or green moong dal
* 1 tsp cumin seeds
* Optional 2 to 3 cloves
* Options 2 to 3 Indian bay leaves
* Optional 1 cinnamon stick
* 1 chopped onion
* 5 cloves of garlic
* 1 inch ginger
* 2 medium tomatoes
* 1/2 tsp turmeric
* 1 tsp ground coriander
* 1/2 to 1 tsp cayenne
* 1/4 tsp black pepper
* 1/2 to 1 tsp garam masala (optional)
* 4 cups water
* 2-3 tsp lemon juice
* Soak brown rice and lentils in hot water for about 15 minutes while you get everything else ready.
* Prep onions, tomatoes, garlic and ginger.
* Start the Instant Pot (IP) on saute at normal heat.
* When hot, you have the option to start with 1 tablespoon of coconut oil or skip the oil. Add. Cumin seeds Roast the seeds for half a minute or until fragrant.
* Add onions, tomato, garlic, ginger, spices, stir and cook for about 5 to 10 minutes. Switch the saute to off.
* Add drained lentils and rice in the pot.
* Add water
* Close the lid. Press Manual and adjust time for 10 minutes. You may need to cook longer depending on the variety of brown rice used.
* Once done, let the pressure release naturally.
* When done pour 2-3 tsp of lemon juice. Taste and optionally add seasalt or any additional spices. Garnish with cilantro and serve hot.